Rail transport in supply chains
The paper discusses the problem of competitiveness between the rail and road transport with reference to the EU policy for sustainable development of the transport branch. The paper presents the idea of complexity of services which facilitates the development of logistic networks. The authors formulate preliminary assumptions recommended for designing and construction of multimodal hubs. Further, they describe examples of European and Polish businesses which, thanks to the consolidation of services, widened their offer of logistic capabilities. The authors highlight the need for action aiming at the reversal of the unfavorable trend and increasing the cargo flow by rail, and not road. Finally, they discuss the necessity to reform the current freight transport by rail through the construction of comprehensive supply chains.
Antonowicz A., Zielaśkiewicz H., Role of Rail Cargo Transport in creation of Logistics network. Conference papers Poznań 19-24 May 2004.
2. Antonowicz M., Business Models of Rail Freight Service Opera-tors and Their Value for Clients Creation, Logistics and Transport No. 2/2016.
3. Blaik P., Concept of integrated management, PWE Warsaw 2017.
4. Bozarth C., Handfield R., Introduction to operations and supply chains management, Hellion Gliwice 2007.
5. Ciesielski M., Długosz J., Supply chains strategies, PWE Warsaw 2007.
6. Coyle J.J., Bardi E.J., Langley C. John Jr., Logistics Management, PWE Warsaw 2010.
7. Gattorna J.,,Dynamic supply chains, Eurlogistics, Suchy Las 2013.
8. Obłoj K., Company strategy practice, Poltext 2017.
Copyright (c) 2018 Autobusy – Technika, Eksploatacja, Systemy Transportowe
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.